Sunday, March 27, 2011

Borneo: Tun Mustapha Tower and Sabah Museum and Cultural Village

I'm here in Malaysian Borneo for a few days attending a teaching conference, and I'm loving it!  (To see my first Bornean blog post, click here.)

Today after the conference sessions were over, Floyd and I took a taxi to visit the Tun Mustapha Tower.  It's the second tallest building on the island of Borneo, and apparently is one of only four hanging structures in the world with a glass facade, and the only building in Asia in the shape of a 72-sided polygon built without columns.  We didn't get to go inside, but it did look pretty impressive from the outside.  Here are a few pictures I took:






Afterward we visited The Sabah Museum, which featured various traditional local cultures.  Unfortunately, a large section of it was closed for renovation, but we did enjoy what we were able to see.  


Behind the museum was a traditional (uninhabited) village preserved in its original form.  We got to stroll around it and even go in some of the buildings.




I'm really enjoying our time here and everything we've been able to see.  What a pity we can't stay longer!

To read more about our time in Malaysian Borneo, take a look at my other blog posts here:


Borneo: Lok Kawi Wildlife Park






No comments: