Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wounded Hearts: An Interview with Author Allyson Carter







Today I'm interviewing Allyson Carter, author of Wounded Hearts.  Make sure you read to the bottom for a description of the story and links to buy the book or connect with the author online.




Tell us about things you enjoy — what you do for fun or personal satisfaction besides writing? 

I like to spend time with my family, singing, but what you can find me doing most of the time in my spare time is knitting. I can’t be without needles in my hands.

Tell us about working with any people who help you create your books — do you use beta readers? Hire an editor or proofreader? How do you get your covers? 

I do use beta readers and critique partners as I write. At this moment my cover art comes from my publisher, which by the way, they have some great cover artist. I have a couple in mind for when I self-publish later this year.

Tell us about your newest book. Make us want to read it.

This book is like totally my baby. It was the second book I’d written, and it has been rewritten three times. It just wasn’t there where it should be, so I’d play around with some more. Once I added suspense it just clicked.

It’s about a woman who’s been scorned by men. She just wants nothing to do with them at this time, except her brother’s best friend comes back from war and moves in across the street from her. She begins to get threatening messages and runs into the hero’s arms. They have to fight their way to make it out alive.
  
What is the “message” of your writing? (For example, is your purpose to encourage old-fashioned values, encourage romance, or do you have different purposes in different books?)

I want to show that you can have sweet and Christian romance and still show attraction and chemistry. They don’t have to cross the line but it can still be there. Another thing is to show that love is worth fighting for and God has a plan for us all.

Share something that’s amazing, touching, or that makes you angry.

That would have to be seeing how children and people in general with Autism are treated unfairly at times. I have three on the spectrum so this touches close to home for me. I wish people would understand they want what we all want. They want to be heard, loved and treated just like you would anyone else.

What’s your next project? Tell us so we can’t wait for it to come out!

That would be book to in the Southern Morality series. It will focus on Shelby’s best friend Mary and her brother Jace.
I don’t want to give too much away as there’s some spoilers in book one. Someone’s killing off people she loves and she finds herself next on the list.

What is your current work in progress?

I’m working on book 2 along with rewriting my first book that was published under my pen name. The rights have been reverted back to me, so I plan on publishing it later this year.



About the Book:

After a bitter divorce, Shelby Johnson is looking to rebuild a life for her and her daughter, Hannah, while avoiding the thing she mistrusts most: men. Her resolve is tested, however, when her brother’s best friend, Mark, moves in across the street and her long-buried feelings for him return. Can she possibly open up her heart again? Is she willing to let herself love? When someone threatens her life she quickly realizes that her heart isn’t the only thing on the line and she turns to the only man she feels she can trust.

Reliving everything he lost overseas, Mark Daniels goes back to his hometown to try and live a peaceful life but instead gets caught up in Shelby’s troubles.. He knows she needs someone to protect her but can he be that man? Except, being near Shelby again is making him feel things he’d rather never feel—again. When his past comes to haunt him in a way he never excepted, he vows to protect Shelby and her daughter until his last breath.


Excerpt from the Story:

“Stay right here, sweetie.”
Reaching in, she picked up the paper. At first the words written on the thing didn’t register. She had to re-read them twice.
Keep quiet or else.
Her hands shook. A lump formed in her throat. When Mark walked out to the car, their gazes met. She noted the concern on his face as he stared at her.
“What’s the matter, Shell?”
She tried to talk, but nothing would come out. When he rushed to her side, she gave him the note. The words had been created with letters out of magazines or something, glued to the paper. She tightened her hold on Hannah. Someone had put the paper there when they were a few feet away. Why?
“Take Hannah and move to the sidewalk.”
Shelby nodded then moved to where he told her. He pulled out his cell and punched in a number. Mark moved with determination as he talked on the phone with the police. Within moments, a squad car showed up. So much for not having attention on her while she was out with Mark. Who had put the note in her car? Better yet, how did they get in when she’d locked the car?
“Shelby, do you have someone mad at you?” Detective Moore asked as he shut the door to his car and made his way over to her.


You can buy Wounded Hearts from Sweet Cravings Publishing, Amazon and ARe.  

Allyson can be found around the internet at Facebook, Twitter and her website.  


No comments: