Saturday, November 8, 2008

Autumn Arrives in Taiwan

The weather here is finally starting to get cool in earnest. When I say "cool", I mean it sometimes gets all the way down to 21 (degrees Celcius, that is) on our indoor thermometer. A couple times now we've even been able to sleep all night with the AC off and the windows open, and today I think I can get away with wearing a long-sleeved shirt for the first time this year. Last night we went out to dinner and I actually got a little chilly in short sleeves. It seems that autumn is finally arriving in Taiwan! Not that leaves are changing or anything, but we know it must be autumn because the fruit-seller guy on the corner has been seen wearing a shirt for the last several days.

It rained last night for I think the first time since the last typhoon, and right now I'm listening to the wind wail its way through the wind tunnel formed by our apartment buildings and courtyard. We like this kind of weather! If only it could last longer.... Another six or eight weeks and we will be gripped by winter's inexorable chill, followed in a couple months by the inescapable mosquitoes of spring, and a few weeks later it will be back to the sauna-like heat and humidity of Taiwan's long, long summer.

Oh well, we're enjoying the fall while it lasts!

No comments: